Note the photos on this page were added by editer, and my not be in the right time line

 Scouting History of Tewantin-Noosa

1952 to 1983

Scouting in Tewantin-Noosa over 30 years

Written by Joan Pearce.

 

“and it came to pass that a man named Robert Baden Powell,(later Lord), had the fore-sight to start one of the greatest youth movements the world has ever known. The ‘Boy Scouts’ in 1907″.

Easter Camp 2 1954

Easter Camp 2 1954

The Noosa Scouts came into being in 1952 when a few parents  realised the need for such a movement to begin. Mr Jim Mc Kena was the first G.SM. followed by a Mr D.Butler . The group was known as the 1st Noosa Scouts and had its  start in Mr Butler’s business house, which in actual fact was a drycleaning business. A few months later, Scouts were being held in St James Hall Noosaville. The movement flourished, and it was decided to purchase land so that a Scout Den could be built. Mc Kena made contact with Mr Caffrey,  “a retired farmer” whose residence was the first house on Eumundi Rd; Noosaville. Mr Caffrey owned .over 7 acres of land directly behind his residence, of which only  1 1/2 acres was high and usable for farming, The rest of the land  was deep swamp.

Negotiations were made and the Noosa Scout Group paid approximately, 150 pounds ($3o0:00).   By 1953 Mr Col Brough had trained and was now the Scoutmaster. It was time to think about the younger boy at home wanting to join his, big brother in Scouts, so Cubbing was started in 1954.

Cub and Scout Parade circa 1954

Cub and Scout Parade circa 1954

Mrs Vera Jones and Mrs Olive Brough were the first Cub Masters. In the beginning, Cubs were held in an open paddock where Noosa River Motel now stands.  Realising the necessity of their own Den, leaders and parents constructed a low set building which remained low set for a long time.  Mr Sam  Low Kinnon a local saw miller and Mr Frank Bickle from local hardware store provided a lot of the material at a very low cost.

Cubs and Scouts at SL Brough's residence 1954

Cubs and Scouts at SL Brough’s residence 1954

The C.M. ranks grew when Mrs Dot Brooks took out a warrant, Mr Tom Brooks also was a Scout Master in those early days. Don Brooks became A.S.M. Leader, training was conducted in your own district, now most of the training is carried out at Baden Powell Park Samford. The Field Commissioner for Noosa was Jack “Badger”  Richardson  because of his sterling efforts in the formation  of Noosa  Scouts,  the grounds were named “Badger’s Woods” in his honour and what an appropriate name to this day. A Group committee is a must with scouts some names which come to mind, and there are probably a lot unknown to the writer are Boreham , Zillman , Bickle , Walker , Moffat ,Harlow , Petty Gall and Harrold. The persons were the fore-runners of the Noosa Scouts.

In 1963 Col and Olive Brough decided to retire and allow younger people to take over. All that knew them agreed they had played their part most admirably. Mr Jim Scott came into Scouting about this time as G.S.M Jim Mc Kenna and Tom Brooks were still involved as Scouters.

In 1966 lvan Boreham joined the ranks as A.S.M. and soon was S.M. Ivan who proved  to be one of the best S.M. Noosa has had, He stayed with the movement till December, 1976, He was assisted in turn by an lan Pask and Kevin Phillips both A.S.M. Later Ian Hall who had come through Cubs and Scout,  became  an A.S.M.

Cubs had ceased to operate for a short time and in 1965, Mrs Eileen O’Neill came in as C.M.  1967 Jenny Mc Grath (now Duke) and Mrs Mavis Pedrazzini took out warrants. They were later joined by Mrs Midge Burgess, not long out from England. A  new team of men came in, Glen Daniels was G.S.M for a short time. Dr Brian Ferguson took his place. In 1966 George Pearce took on the role of G.S.M. Some scouters had left, Ivan Boreham was still S.M. and he had John Lauder, Brian Mc Cosker and Llewellyn Bennet as A.S.M’s in that order, all these young men were 18 years old. Perhaps we should digress awhile and mention that all this time Noosa Scouts belonged to the Cooroora  District taking in Pomona, Imbil, Cooroy and Noosa.

District Rally Sept 1968

District Rally Sept 1968

The beginning of 1966, saw a change from 1st Noosa Scouts to ‘Noosa Sea Scouts. Most notable change was uniforms, the change being from Khaki to Navy Blue, and the headgear from and “Lemon Squeezer” Khaki hats to sailors hats. In other words, we changed from “land lubbers” to “Swampies”. By this time some committee names were Pearce, Parker, Berry, Sinclair, Bustead and ZsoIdos.

boat 2Sir Thomas Hiley became the Patron for the Sea Scouts and in 1968 a whaler boat which he had donated was launched by his wife Lady Hiley. What a memorable day that was.

Jamborees play a big part in the Scouting life. They come around at 3 year intervals and in 1965 Noosa had 2 boys attend the Jamboree held in Melbourne Vic. In Jan 1968 Noosa had 7 boys attend Jundalee Brisbane. This was the first time Qld had hosted a Jamboree”. On returning from Jindalee these boys wanted to stay in scouting awhile longer so the senior scouts were formed.  Ces Parker became the S.S.M.  This unit was for boys 15 years to 18 years. Due to the fact many boys go away to boarding school at that age, or they have to go further a field for work and the Senior Scouts folded up. Cubbing had a few more changes in Leaders, Midge Burgess was now C.M. and Betty Parker was A.C.M. Midge had to go back to England in April 197O so Joan Pearce decided to apply for A.C.M. However Betty and Ces Parker also left the Area and Joan became C.M.

Brian Ferguson and  Rex James 1970

Brian Ferguson and Rex James 1970

George Pearce and Ivan Boreham Badgers Wood 1970

George Pearce and Ivan Boreham Badgers Wood 1970

Big things were in store for Noosa Scouts in 1971. Jan 1971 one scouter and 4 scouts attended the Jamboree at Leppington N.S,W. Kay Harper took out an A.S.M. warrant. Scout Laurie Pearce attended the13th World Scout Jamboree in August, 1971 in Japan.

In September, 1971 a beautiful knot board was presented to the Scouts by Mr Harold Cox. There were 120 knots the work of one Sandy Boxell. These two men had been boys in about 1908 on the training ship “Tingira”, They formed the “Old Boys Brigade” and were looking for a home some how connected with the sea for a resting place for these knot Boards It still hangs proudly in the Den to honour the “Old Boys Brigade”.It was decided to name the Scout Den “Tingira House” and M Jim Mc Kenna, who had received the first  “Thanks Badge” from Head Quarters performed the unveiling in early Sept.

In 1971 George Pearce was instrumental in staging the first Boreen Pt to Noosaville scout Canoe race in conjunction with the ‘Festival of Waters’. This was a great attraction and was an annual event till 1976 Late Dec 1971.  John Lauder and Scout Greg Ferner attended the South-East Asian Jamboree in  New Zealand. So ended 1971.

Knotting Board

Knotting Board

Beginning 1972 a new look for scouts and cubs was formulating

The Navy Blue uniforms was being phased out Khaki was once again in, but the Sailor Cap was retained. Cubs went from grey shirts, navy shorts and socks and pork pie Cap, to Khaki outfits and dark green felt boater hats. this was an Australia wide change. The Cub change proved successful, as boys only have to change hats if continuing onto scouts. Nick Carter came to Noosa in 1972 and was S.L. With the change of uniforms came the change in scouter names, Scout and Cub Masters now were Scout and Cub Leaders. Senior Scouts are now Venturers. There is still only one head, but in all units, the Leaders wear the same colour hat badge and epaulets

Irene Mc Nair became A.C.L. for a short time in 1972 before leaving the District. It was thanks to June ColIey, Carmel Brown, Pam Feldman, Ida Noble and Roslyn Hefferman that Akela could carry on. Committee names were Bickle, Ferner, Barrow and Woods. Towards the end af’1972. Cooroora District was abandoned. Noosa became a lone unit attached to Head Quarters.

The years rolled by and the scouting movement of Noosa kept ahead, .January 1974 saw 3 Scouters and 9 scouts attend the Jamboree at woodhouse S.A. Noosa was now being sewered and so the public conveniences at the grounds had to be up dated with the help of voluntary labour this was accomplished

You cannot do this today

You cannot do this today

In July 1976 Gordon Simpson M.L.A, performed the opening ceremony. There were plenty of gurgling sounds to the delight of the crowd who attended. August 1977 Jane Rivers and Dianne Mc Donald, two Cub Leaders from interstate came to reside in Noosa, to the cub Leaders delight. Also in 1977 6 scouts attended the Jamboree held at Rossmoryne Park Melbourne vic.

Work had to be done to the Den and so in August, 1978, the Den was lifted up onto high blocks. Most of the work was done by voluntary labour. Eventually the concrete floor was poured and footpaths were laid around the outside. Building wise things came to a standstill and work was concentrated on the grounds

As bottles have always been the main source of fund raising more time was given to this. Over the years the swampy hollows close to the Den had been filled in to a depth of some six feet in places, by broken glass and rubbish. Gradually the filling crept around to the back of the old toilets and store shed.

Beer Bottles stacked and to be sorted FundraisingSo the bottle dump was moved around also. In 1979 the swamp towards the back was slowly starting to fill.  In Jan, 1979 scout Greg Pocock attended the Jamboree in Perth WA. 1980 also saw the pulling down of big buildings in the Noosa Area.  It was decided to use all the rubble from these buildings to fill the entire swamp, Soon truck load after truck load were coming into the dumps. Some parts of the swamp were as deep as 12 feet. A lot of credit must go to Keith Beckman who was group president other committee names were Boreham, Taylor, Thorough good ,Marks O’Neill and Pocock, During 1980 it was decided to renovate the old store shed.

Thanks go to the ‘Tewantin Lions Club for accomplishing the same. More work was done on the downstairs metal doors were made and hung in a fashion to enable half opened at a time, making for good ventilation. John Taylor took out a A.S.L. warrant in 1981 as did Janette Rose and Maree Gray A.C.L . Andrew Champion joined the ranks as A.S.L. for a short time. In May 1981 the Mothers Sub-Committee was formed. Blanche Wood was the first President. Pamela Mackay was officially made Public Relations Officer, Names of Willis, Kippen, Boreham, Gordon, Robinson, O’Neill ,Viney and Wright were constant helpers. In 1981 talk centred around making all lone Units of which Noosa was one join districts and after a lot of thought,  Noel Parry, District Commissioner of Nambour District welcomed Noosa as the 13th Group of the District in April 1982. In July 1982 saw the start of the kitchen take shape. George Pearce was mostly responsible for this. Kitchen cupboards were erected, Ron Shaw had some time earlier donated a lovely fridge an instant hot water system and some lovely pine tables are a credit to any kitchen.

Jota 1981 Scouts

Jota 1981 Scouts

August 1982 Scout David Taylor attended the 5th Tasmanian Corroborree in Tasmania.

At the end of 1982 George and Joan Pearce decided to retire George had to carry on a few more months into 1983. Jan 1983 , 3 Scouters and  6 Scouts attended months into 1981. In  January 1983, the Jamboree was held at Collinswood Park Ipswich Qld. March 1983 George and Joan Pearce were presented with “Good Service Awards” at Government house by Sir James Rarnsay. April 1983 Keith Bechman was awarded the “Thanks Badge” For 1O years of Good Service as a layman.

Back in June 1982 the dump was closed as the swamp had been completely filled. Because of the retirement of the Pearces more Leaders were needed, The new G.L. was filled by Peter Wright, Paul Messervy and Wayne Carter became A.S.L. and Lindsay Buchanan Q.Master, Cub Leaders were Elizabeth Messervy, Julia Bastin, Gillian King and Gabriella Erwin. Also at this time, Venturers were reformed with David Meiers becoming V.L.ably assisted by Sycl Bounty and Lynne Norris who has applied for L.V.L ‘warrant’ Noosa now has 2 Cub Packs’ 2 Scout Troops and a Venturer Unit coping with some 90 young persons.

In May ,1983 the Group ,Committee Leaders and friends entertained George and Joan Pearce to Dinner at the Royal Mail. This was a happy occasion and on retiring as Leaders were given Camp Warden and Badge Secretary charges, Another Leader has transferred to the area. David Cardwell A.S.L. Pam Meiers was elected President of the Mothers Club for 1983 Committee names include Bickle, Wood, Mackay, Schroffell, Mc Donald and Boreham. It is with thanks, Elaine Willis has given sterling help to the cubs over a number of years. In July 1983 the upstairs of the Den was ceiled and lined. At long last 5 six feet tall cupboards one for each unit were erected by George Pearce. This just about brings the Den to completion. The Venturer, Unit has signed 4 more persons up as prospective Leaders, Clare and Edgar Johns, Ted Beckman and Don Armstrong. This augers well for the Scouting movement in Noosa.

Over the years many organisations have helped the Scouts financially. The Lions, Apex, both Rotary Clubs, Quota and the R.S.L. In return all of these Clubs have been helped, by the Scouts through, door knock appeals etc.

During my 3O years of Scouting many persons have held positions as scouter. Many more persons not necessarily named in. this write up have contributed in some way to ensure that Scouting continues in Noosa.  On conclusion this is meant to be a fair account of what has happened is happening and hopes to happen with the Noosa Scouts. If some dates don’t agree with the readers, the dates won’t be far out. Long live scout in Noosa.

Written by Joan Pearce.